Development policy documents

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Fri Sep 17 15:21:46 UTC 2004

>  I just saw your message while I was looking at the archives what's new in
> KDevelop (and is the 3rd "KMDI" ready or not ;-)).
Too bad we haven't got irc archives. Only #kdevelop knows what's new ;)

> Just a question: did you had problems in the past regarding commits which
> broke KDevelop (especially in freeze), or why do you need such kind of
> document? I think common sense and some KDE development background usually
> helps avoiding such commits and there is no need for strict policies.
We do have problems with our interfaces growing randomly (anyone who
wanted to
extend them just did that - and the result in lib/interfaces we have now
is not really
acceptable). We also have a lot of unmaintained code which should be
maintained.

> I'm just a rebel now as I usually hate when I see strict rules. I want a
free
> world. ;-)
Yes, but freedom shouldn't become anarchy ;)

> On the other hand having a document which tells to contributors
> the importance level of a directory is good, so they have extra care when
> changing things there.
This is important also because we want to make KDevelop a platform and we
must be
sure the core of a platform has only features we really need and also has
the necessary
level of quality.

--
Alexander Dymo
ICST department, National University of Shipbuilding, Mykolayiv, Ukraine