KDevProjectManager

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 19:10:07 UTC 2004

> > Solution is easy to implement, I would like to hear what else
> should be
> > done and I would also like to hear opinions about ProjectManager
> issue.
> the big plan for the ProjectManager is
>
>   0) documentation
>   1) integrate KDevProjectEditor with KDevProjectManager
>   2) implement the KDevProjectEditor interface for
> Automake(+pkgconfig) and
> QMake
>   3) move the KDevProjectManager interface in libkdevelop
>   5) remove all the old project managers
>
> atm I'm working on 0, 1, and 2 ;)
>

> > PS: Amilcar, thanks for the wiki. It's so cool to have our own :)
> yeah.. it's COOL!
>
> ciao robe

Robe, thanks for your excellent work.

The current qmake based project manager (3.0.x) is really seriously
broken.

Among other things, KDevelop has lots of bugs with respect to where to
find the executable in projects with more than one subproject. The
project manager overwrites .pro files that have been customized by the
user which is even worse than what KDevelop-2.x used to do with
Makefile.am files. I've though about fixing things and then heard that
you are rewriting the whole damn thing.

Unfortunately also the project manager user interface is fairly
unintuitive. It took me two hours to figure out why I couldn't add a
subproject to an application. Agreed, this is a shortcoming of qmake,
but nevertheless.

Please also think about the fact that project management and compiler
support as well as specialized compile configurations down to single
files should be possible. Again, qmake's approach to this is miserable,
but qmake in Qt-4 supposently fixes many shortcomings.

I love the idea of being able to read a project that builds with
automake and save it as a qmake based project. That's cool - nothing
less.

So - when can we expect a version of the new project manager and will
it build with currently released KDE (KDE-3.3) ?

Best regards and many thanks to all of the developers for a great
KDevelop-3
Roland