Question about the new project manager

Roberto Raggi roberto.raggi at trolltech.com
Tue Sep 14 12:27:02 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Saturday 11 September 2004 06:20, Adam Treat wrote:
> I'm trying to port my newly created C# language support to the New Project
> Manager (NPM) stuff and in the process I'm wondering about future plans for
> the shape of the NPM and specifically how it will act with the importers
GREAT!

> Right now, when using the NPM you have to provide an importer ie,
>
> <projectmanagement>KDevProjectManager</projectmanagement>
> <!--<importer>KDevAutomakeImporter</importer>-->
> <builder>KDevCSharpBuilder</builder>
>
> ... or else it'll result in a crash.  Now, obviously I won't be using the
> automake importer for my csharp builder, but the question becomes, "should
> I be using the custom importer or making my own custom csharp importer?"

yeah this is a temp solution.. for now you are forced to `declare' the default
importer and builder in the project file, but this will change SOON!! the
idea is to have multiple `project type' loaded, so we can edit kdelibs (using
automake), Qt (using qmake), and your own project (for instance using
custom).. this isn't difficult to implement and it will be finished for
_SURE_ in time for KDevelop 3.2 :)

> Which is another way of dancing around exactly what the importers are
> for??!!
>
> Presumably, you should only have to use them once, right?  Then after that,
well as I said it will change in the near future.

> all the information will be stored in the .kdevelop file...  the build
> system will then modify and read exclusively from the .kdevelop file for
> it's build information.  That is what I assumed at least.  It is called
> 'importer' after all.
>
> But, given that without an importer kdevelop will crash and after looking
> at the architecture of the automake importer I'm beginning to think that
> you intend all the build information still to be read and written from the
> Makefile.am files... rather then storing the info in the .kdevelop files
> after the first 'import'.  Is that what is intended?

hmm, the idea of KDevProjectImporter is to `load' a project in `read only'
mode.. it provides only two features.
  - import the project structure
  - and the ability to `refresh' the project view

KDevProjectEditor extends KDevProjectImporter with the edit support, so using
KDevProjectEditor you can load your project in read-write mode. It is more or
less like KParts::ReadOnlyPart and KParts::ReadWritePart. atm
KDevProjectEditor is not well integrated with the rest of the new
ProjectManager, but the integration is on top of my TODO list ;)

ciao robe