building kdevelop

Steven T. Hatton hattons at globalsymmetry.com
Fri Sep 10 20:37:03 UTC 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 12:04, Simon Drouin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to build kdevelop by myself for the first time and I was
> wondering if there was any problem with having 2 different versions of
> kdevelop ( i.e.: the one that came with my Linux distro (Mandrake 10.0)
> and the one I'm going to build) and if kdevelop can be installed
> somewhere else than in the kde directory.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Simon

Yes.  I can't recall all the details, but I found trying to run two versions
of KDevelop under the same user ID to be a bad idea.  There are also
potential problems with your build's libs conflicting with the KDevelop libs
in your KDE install.  I didn't try to untangle that mess.  I just gave up and
started building KDevelop and installing into the system's KDE installation.
You can ask the veteran KDevelopers how much I whined about having to do that
before I finally acquiesced.

--
Regards,
Steven