Moving Kommander Executor to kdelibs

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Fri Nov 5 21:29:06 UTC 2004

First, I'd like to mention that kommander is a tool, not a library so
I don't think it can belong to kdelibs. Second, it's not something
that should be in kdebase. Let's be realistic - no normal (dummy ;))
KDE user would use commander.
Kommander is a tool for developers and should be in one of development
modules in KDE. At this time I know about three such modules: kdewebdev,
kdevelop, and kdesdk.

Why do we fear of moving common development stuff to kdesdk and depend
on it?

At this moment I'd like to explain relationship between kdevelop and kdesdk,
for example:
cervisia - cvsservice is now the only option to use cvs support in kdevelop
kcachegrind - used to profile applications
kompare - used to show differencies between versions of files
kuiviewer - used to preview .ui in file selectors

Same can be applied for other stuff currently in kdesdk. For example, scripts
can be very useful.

I think kommander and kfilereplace can be moved to kdesdk. They are
potentially interesting for kdevelop too. Quanta could benefit from
cervisia and kompare, for example.

Also some people know that I'm working on so-called "kdevelop platform"
which is a set of common interfaces and a common shell for quanta
and kdevelop (we want to reuse common plugins). This means we need
a common place to put those interfaces, plugins and shell. What can be better
than kdesdk for that purpose? Well, only a new module - say kdevsupport
(we already have kdesupport, why not having kdevsupport? ;)).

--
Alexander Dymo
ICST Department, National University of Shipbuilding, Mykolayiv, Ukraine