KDevelop UI cleanup initiative

Sandy Meier smeier at kdevelop.org
Sun May 30 21:38:35 UTC 2004

Hi!

> 4. The large amount of menu entries, many of which are confusing and
> perhaps
> in the wrong place. This is the main point of this mail. :)

Yes, I completely agree. At the moment we have to many menues and its very
confusing sometimes. I thought about that issue somedays ago also :-)

> On my personal shit list:

Very good suggestions.

> # There are at least seven (eight with the old CTAGS part - I guess the
> new
> one should have one as well) actions in the menus that are various forms
> of
> navigation, more will probably come. Perhaps a seperate menu -
> "Navigation"?

On IDEA its called "Go to" as a menu. There you find entries like
"Class...",
"Implementation"
"next Error"
"back"
"forward"

and so on. Everything that is navigation oriented. At the moment we have
for instance the "goto class" entry in the "edit" menu und its called
"search class".

> we should rethink all our default short cuts. There are some that are so
> damn ugly... Depending on the type of keyboard you use, Alt+Ctrl+Shift+L
> needs two persons to press

Yes, I agree and I have a suggestion.

I think it will be very difficult to agree on a different menu structure
and shortcuts structure, at least for so many plugins and possible
entries. So I would suggest we take an already existing one (IDEA) and
adapt it. :-)

This has following advantages:

-very good and well thought out menu and shortcut structure (if you don't
have to a look, please do)
-this will be more intuitiv, as we have already GUI mode IDEA as default.
-some people don't have to learn all shortcuts if they switch between
IDE's.

Sandy