Some questions regarding the Appwizard

Sascha Cunz scunz at ng-projekt.de
Wed May 26 23:36:03 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 20:00, Paul Drummond wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 May 2004 16:14, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> >
> > I may figure some of this out myself, but I've been looking at it long
> > enough to justify asking for some guidance.
> >
> > How does the new app wizard create/populate the list view in the "All
> > Projects" scrollbox?  I.e., were does it get "Ada, C, C++, Database,
> > Fortran, etc.", and then, for example, were does C++->KDE->Application
> > Framework come from?
>
> Each language in the "languages/" sub-dir has an app-template folder which
> contains a config file.  For example, the C++ Hello template is in
> languages/cpp/app_templates/chello and it's config file is called "chello".

These files will soon be named like: chello.kdevtemplate. When this is done,
bleeding-edge-cvs users will have to remove their
$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdevappwizard directory before installing kdevelop.
You will know that you missed that point, if every template appears twice in
appwizard; This should also be the point where appwizard starts to work
again.

> The contents of the config file include a name property which is displayed
> in the tree view.  The category property defines which folder the template
> goes in.  For chello the category is:  "C".  To place a template in C++/KDE
> the category is "C++/KDE" and so on.
>
> > What/where are the new "ini" files? Are they part of the CVS image or
> > something generated in the build process? `find . -name "*.ini"' reveals
> > nothing, from both the root of the CVS image and from the root of the
> > installed program.
> >
> > What component is intended to parse these "ini" files?
> >
> > I've been looking over the contents of parts/appwizard, but it's a bit
> > difficult to make the connections.
>
> There is alot of work going on to improve the appwizard, hence the new
> ini files but I don't know anything about them, sorry.

When we are talking of ini files, we actually talk about the files that are
currently named the same as the directory, where the template lives in (i.e.
languages/cpp/app_templates/cpphello/cpphello). These files however will soon
be assigned an extention to identify them. It will then be:

    languages/cpp/app_templates/cpphello/cpphello.kdevtemplate

These files are called "ini"- or "desktop"-files, because they look like some
windows 3.1 "ini" files.

Cheers Sascha