'Updating...' after project build

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Tue May 25 20:05:06 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 07:16, Nick Savoiu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Do you guys know what KDevelop updates after a project build?

Yes.. it does a reparse of the project. I'm not really sure why it does this,
possibly because in some cases source files are updated during builds (.ui
generated code, for instance). Roberto?

It does appear to take a lot longer to retrieve the filelist than to actually
parse the files though. We'll need to take another look at this.

When the project is first loaded, this same parsing is carried out. Does this
also give you this lockup?

> 'Cause it
> locks the UI for 35 seconds on a dual Xeon 2.4GHz machine. I'm building a
> rather large project (lots of files).

Yikes. That IS bad. How large is this project? My typical testcase is the
KDevelop source itself, which is about 1500 files in about 100 directories
(ballpark figures). This is a far less capable box than yours, but I only get
a few seconds of "lockup".

> This makes it very hard to use at least for building from within the IDE.
>
> On a positive note, I'm a happier peppy since version 3.0.90 does no longer
> seem to have a similar hang when clicking on an error message in the
> 'Messages' pane.

Yes. I fixed that recently. It was easier to solve and also felt more annoying
(at least to me) than the build case as this was directly connected to a user
action.

jd