Overview to KDE / KDevelop commits (Was: build fails on parts/appwizard/Makefile.am)

Sascha Cunz scunz at ng-projekt.de
Wed Jun 2 00:17:07 UTC 2004

Hi Steven,
CC'ing you, because one cannot really communicate with the mailinglist-delay
of up to 5 days... :-/

> > > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cvs&w=2&r=1&s=kdevelop&q=b
> >
> > Yeah, this is basicly the "commit list".
> >
> > "CIA": ( http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/kde/kdevelop )
> > CIA is a very nice directly connected to many open source projects. It's
> > main purpose is to create those webpages. But CIA also feeds:
> >
> > "IRC KDE Commit Channel": ( irc.freenode.net - #kde-commits )
> > CIA posts all cvs commits to kde repository into this irc channel.
>
> I have _never_ communicated with anyone on IRC.  Just one of those things I
> keep putting off.  Partly because of my bad spelling and typing.  I tried
> to use KVirc to connect to the irc.kde.org, but didn't have enough time to
> figure it all out.

No one will kill you for your spelling and people on irc usually do not
bite. :-)

Most of the devs of kdevelop use to hang around in #kdevelop. KDE-Devs in
gerneral can be found at #kde-devel. IRC is along with mailinglists in fact
the second important communication channel for devs nowadays.

> > "NNTP" - ( news://us.linuxtraining.com )
>
> That doesn't resolve, but linuxtraining.com does.  It's not talking NNTP to
> me, however.
>
> > Newsgroup: kde.kde-cvs.kdevelop
>
> Perhaps this is it.  I'll look when time permits.
> http://news.uslinuxtraining.com/main.php?template=kde

Sorry, was my fault - you're of course right here.

> > This is one of the few sources where you get actually the commits
> > separated into modules - that is, there is a news group for each module
> > in kde repository.
> >
> > Another important source of information is the mirrored content of cvs to
> > a web interface (for kde located at: webcvs.kde.org ) where you can
> > browse
>
> Speaking of mirrors, this might explain why I was getting different results
> than other people:
> host cvs.kde.org
> cvs.kde.org has address 195.135.221.67
>
> host anoncvs.kde.org
> anoncvs.kde.org has address 134.2.170.97
>
> It can be difficult to determine how recent a CVS mirror was updated.  At
> least I don't know an easy way to do so.  The best I can do is pick through
> the latest changes and try to figure it out.

http://developer.kde.org/source/cvsupmirrors_admin.html suggests to setup the
script for annoncvs mirrors to run every 24h hours. So with that default
config, it should be once a day up to date. But basicly it is the choice of
the mirror-admin how often it will sync ( Contrary to i.e. gentoo - They
force each mirror to sync at a given time and in given timeintervals )

Cheers Sascha