Help Promote KDevelop at LinuxWorld and Beyond

Alexander Dymo cloudtemple at mksat.net
Fri Jan 16 23:17:03 UTC 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 16:58, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> Greetings
> 	I have two things I would love KDevelop Developers to look into for me.
> If anyone feels so inclined to fill in:
> http://www.sourcextreme.com/presentations/kwickies/kwickies_form.txt and
> email me back the resources before Tuesday morning I will ensure KDevelop
> has a set if slides in our booths mini-presentations.
What do you think will be better - to include two small screenshots in the
graphics area or the one part of a big screenshot?

> Second, I am working on a sales sheet for KDevelop 3.0.  IMHO there is no
> reason why KDevelop 3.0 shouldn't be the official IDE for doing C/C++
> development on Unix.  But I need to distill down the following for the
> sales sheet:
> 	1) 3 big reasons why KDevelop is awesome for C/C++ (no comparisons here,
> these should all stand on their own)

1.1 Extensible plugin based IDE architecture
1.2 The comprehensive set of C/C++ specific features including code completion
and hinting, code wizards and GUI development tools.
1.3 Native non-intrusive support of many build systems used with C/C++
projects including GNU project default build system - autotools, make and
qmake.

> 	2) 5 smaller features that show KDevelop is going to make C/C++
> development faster on Unix (again no comparisons here these all should be
> stand alone)

2.1 Round-trip development tools integration - self-documenting code support
and automatic UML diagramm generation with doxygen, version control system
support (cvs, perforce, subversion and clearcase)
2.2 Integrated debugger for C/C++ with remote debugging support
2.3 Powerfull search and replace facilities
2.4 Powerfull documentation viewer which support major API documentation
formats on UNIX (Doxygen, DevHelp) and many custom formats.
2.5 C/C++ specific facilities such as:
2.5.1 Problem reporter which reports various "problems" with the source code
as you type. Problems include language syntax errors, TODO's and FIXME's.
2.5.2 Class browser to display a hierarchy of classes and other symbols in
project.
2.5.3 Language parsers to feed class browser and problem reporter.
2.5.4 Class, method and attribute wizards for object-oriented languages.
2.5.5 Automatic code completion and code hinting for class variables, methods,
function arguments and more.
2.5.6 Source formatting, syntax highlighting and code folding.
2.5.7 C++ specific features, such as
2.5.7.1 "make member" - creating method definition in source file basing on
the method declaration in header file;
2.5.7.2 "extract interface"- extracting interface (method declarations) and
creating abstract base class with that interface;
2.5.7.3 "subclassing" - automated subclass creating and slot implementing for
Qt Designer forms.

4) Technical kruft:
> 		a) languages supported
Ada, C, C++, Objective-C (via C support) SQL, Fortran, Haskell, Java, PHP,
Pascal, Perl, Python, Ruby, Bash, XUL (unofficially)

> 		c) platforms supported (Qt/E, WxWindows, etc... )

Qt -
	<c++ and python>
	QMake Project Management with Qt Linguist integration,
	Qt API documentation integration,
	Application templates,
	Form Subclassing wizard,
	Signal and slot completion in source code,
	Form preview,
	New class wizard with support of QWidget and QObject descendants creation and
	slot reimplementing,
	New file and form wizards and templates

KDE -
	<c++, java>
	<same as Qt>
	KDE Application templates
	KParts based application templates
	Application templates for various KDE application plugins and addons
	PartExplorer tool to query available KDE services

GTK/GNOME -
	<c>
	Application templates
	DevHelp documentation integration for GTK/GNOME API

Embedded platforms -
	<c++, java>
	Application templates for Qt/E
	Qt/E API documentation integration
	Application templates for SuperWaba,
	SuperWaba documentation topics

WxWindows
	<c++>
	Application templates

> 		d) other minor technical points that make KDevelop stand out.
Anything from our features.html page.
Particularly:
	Support of plugin profiles to use KDevelop in restricted environments
	Internationalization support in both Automake and QMake project managers
	Support of many editors (Kate, QEditor, Vim?, NEdit?)
	Documentation full text search and indexing
	Configurable user interface

And of course:
powerfull infrastructure to extend practically everything in KDevelop:
	creating plugins, compiler plugins, build system plugins,
	application and make frontends, new file wizards,
	source formatters, language and vcs support and project management parts
ability to develop commercial KDevelop plugins by linking with
	libkdeveloplgpl.la

--
Alexander Dymo
Ukrainian State Maritime Technical University, ICST Department