What challenges does C++ present to IDE implementers?

Fabio Fracassi f.fracassi at gmx.net
Tue Apr 13 10:14:04 UTC 2004

On Monday 12 April 2004 21:24, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> On Thursday 08 April 2004 06:18 pm, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > I'm wondering if there are aspects of C++ which the people working on
> > KDevelop have found exceptionally difficult to work with when creating the
> > components which provide functionality such as code completion, syntax
> > highlighting or syntax checking.  Are there any lessons learned which
might
> > assist the language designers in improving C++'s IDE interoperability?
Are
> > there any features of C++ you wish were different, even if changing them
is
> > now impractical?
> >
> > STH
>
> I'm not sure why no one responded to this.  A few reason might be:
>
> 1) This is a really stupid question.  Shutup and go away.
> 2) Hu?  WTH are you talking about?
> 3) I'm/we're way to busy to respond.
>
> I believe there are places where the C++ Standard could be improved
regarding
> the interface between the language and the system.  I.e. Cpp, linker, header
> definitions, etc.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but, I've seen experienced people go
> from a rather heated defense of the status quo to  acknowledging there are
> some shortcomings.  I can't imagine there are people more qualified to
> address some of these issues than the KDevelop core programmers.
>
> I'll leave it at that.  I don't want to be a PITA.

I'm not realy qualified to answer this, since I am just lurking around this
list.
I can only tell you what I thougt about your post, and it comes closest to 2).
Its more like why do you want to know this/ What is the Point?
Are you working on improvements?
Researching Languages?

What exactly are you interested in?
Improvements in the toolchain? (ie. faster/smarter linker, precompiled header)
Or changes in the language (standard) itself? (support for AOP, natice
Signal/Slot, <your feature here>)

Your post reads as if you are mainly interested in the Parsing/Code
Completion. AFAIK its Roberto Raggi who did the main work on these, and he
seems to be quite busy right now.

Fabio