[despammed] kdevelop.kdevelop

Izo I at siol.net
Wed Oct 22 10:04:03 UTC 2003

Falk Brettschneider wrote:

>Hendrik, the last official KDevelop version was KDevelop-2.1. And there, it
>was exactly as I want it back again now. The project files of KDevelop-2.x
>don't contain user-specific settings, all such stuff is swapped out to the
>appropriate .kdevses file or kdeveloprc.

The idea is/was good but in KDevelop-2.1.x there were build
configurations and IDE/GUI state in the kdevses. The build
configurations are not only the builds as debug/default/tight etc etc
covering only one build and/or host and reflect only single developers
ideas - there could be more: I am working on the project where I must
make builds for various hosts (ix86, ARM, PowerPC, ...) on different
build architectures (gcc-2.95.3, gcc-3.2, ...). And this is not joke
anymore and this should be ready for CVS, too, which was not the case
with the KDevelop-2.1.x since the .kdevses contained also the last
IDE/GUI state. Serious consideration should be made about what is the
project data and what is the session data.

So, my opinion is that the builds should go into the .kdevelop.

And besides (which has little to do with the .kdevelop/.kdevses
dilemma)- I am not assuming using the KDevelop always to build the
projects - why then have I the configure ? But the problem is, if the
build configurations are important for me as they are defined and the
Makefile.am/configure do not contain the build configuration
information, I should do the master Makefile over the Makefile.cvs's in
various (sub)projects which has no interaction with the .kdevses-es - I
thus get the duplicate of the build configurations and thus easily
incorporate inconsistencies and incompatibilities to my builds when done
automagically.

Since the .kdevelop and .kdevses are XML, the solution to my problems
could be some kind of the Makefile (generated at the autotools phase,
right after the configure script generation or on request in the Build
menu) which would contain the build configurations specifics and cover
the build process from the configure phase on - could be invoked as make
default, make debug, make ARM etc. etc.

Iztok