Notes on kdevelop

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Mon Oct 20 11:27:05 UTC 2003

Hi,

Here's some comments on odd behaviour in kdevelop, mainly to do with version
control systems

. CVS and SVN is in Settings/Configure Kdevelop/Plugins but Perforce and
Clearcase is in Project/Project options/Plugins. Why the difference?

. A new project gives me the option of cvs and svn. Would perforce or
clearcase be there if I had them?

. Right Mouse Click in editor view gives me the options of Perforce and
Clearcase but I have neither.

. My project is a CVS project so why show Perforce, Clearcase, or Subversion
in RMC in editor view.

. Cervisia Intergration is also in Settings/Configure Kdevelop/Plugins, but
looking at it from a new user pov, what is this? The description is a no-op.
Likewise the subversion description.

. I can select Cervisia Integration but it tells me "Could not find Cervisia
KPart!! This plug-in will be unusable." Better wording would be something
like " Unable to find the Cervisia KPart. Cervisia Integration will not be
available." :(

. So why doesn't selecting Perforce or Clearcase work like the Cervisia
Integration?

. Err, kdevelop just crashed :-)

. A cvs log produces a ... text cvs log. Can't remember when I last looked at
one of these in the raw. I guess the cervisia part will fix this?

. A cvs diff makes the ouput view flash as the diff is down loaded. Very ugly.

. A cvs diff is in text! RMC gives me the option of KDiff3Part or KomparePart.
Neither work here because I don't have them. So why show them?

. Err, kdevelop just crashed again :( Hmm, maybe double click in CVS part
output view when nothing is in it. Hmm, nope, that's not the cause as it
doesn't happen after reloading but that's what I was doing at the time.

. RMC in editor says "Grep: text" but Edit menu says "Find in Files". Also
Find in files doesn't load the selected text (or text you are on if editor
option (katepart) set to do this).

My favourite
. "Go To Declaration" covers the entire screen and takes a fair bit of time to
load if a large class. (try gdbcontroller.cpp) Why doesn't it go to the item
you RMClicked on. I always want to go to the declaration of that particular
item not the others. if I want that, I go to the class view.

Anyway that's enough for tonight. As you can see nothing really wrong here.
It's just that this stuff makes kdevelop harder to use than necessary or
leaves the user uncertain about what is happening.

See ya later,

jbb