[IDEA] KDevelop welcome dialog

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Thu Oct 16 13:33:06 UTC 2003

Hehe.. amazing, I was toying with this very thing this morning. I made some
designer layouts, but nothing as colorful. :)

I think it would be best implemented as a simple plugin, which we temporarily
embed into the main area (I tried it earlier today and it seems to work fine)
and unload when the first project is loaded. It should be easy to do in such
a way that it doesn't load when KDevelop is started from a .kdevelop file or
when KDevelop is set to automatically load the previous project.

I think it is more a question of what should go into such a welcome screen (my
plugin's name: greeter)

Off the top of my head:

(very) short introduction to KDevelop
Recent Projects list
New Project
Open Project (maybe, for completeness)
Some easy links to beginner information

Just a simple, clean and friendly greeting. :)

I guess the most resonable way to access these other parts of KDevelop would
be through DCOP however, and adding that might be less than trivial.. (no
idea, never done it)

PS. Not that I suggest that we should ape it, but here is a screenshot of the
opening screen of Visual Studio .NET:

http://web.sau.edu/LillisKevinM/C++Tutorial/dotNet/020.jpg

jd