Documentation indexing

Kev Gilbert kev.gilbert at ntu.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 01:05:08 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I have developed some changes to the modules that do the documentation
indexing. The modules I have changed are:

	doctreeglobalconfigwidgetbase.ui
	doctreeglobalconfigwidget.cpp
	doctreeglobalconfigwidget.h
	htdigindex.cpp
	htdigindex.h

The main aim of the changes are to make the indexing of the documentation
work. The changes to the htdigindex module are as follows:

1	changes the 'htdig.conf file'
	*	deletes the 'local_urls_only' option - for some reason the use of this
option causes the indexing not to work properly
	*	'local_urls' are now type 'file://' rather than 'http://'
	*	changes the 'compression_level' from 6 to 0 - with level 6 I ran into a
weird error in 'htdig'; even with this level, all database files only need
~20MB for an index of all documentation

2	changes the 'files' file
	*	files are now of type 'file://' rather than 'http://'

3	removes all files '*-source.html' from the indexing run - these files
pollute the index to such an extent that any search returns an excessive
number of spurious hits

4	adds an 'OK' button - because of the time taken to perform the indexing I
think it would be a good idea for the user to be able to reassure himself
that all went well

5	adds a Database Directory option - this allows for one system wide database
to be created and shared by all users, eg /usr/local/share/kdevelop

The changes to the doctreeglobalconfigwidget module are as follows:

1	support the new Database Directory option

2	add a new "Update Config" button for the cases where a user just wants to
update their htdig config without (re-)generating the index; helpful for a
new user when root has already created a system wide index

I haven't used CVS - I modified the Beta-1 source code. I have a 'diff' file
but will not post it with this message as it is rather large (many lines of
false differences in the doctreeglobalconfigwidgetbase.ui file).

As this is the first time I've had a hack at any part of KDE, I'd appreciate
your advice on where to go from here.

Regards,

Kevin