Unable to use developement toolss....

Izo I at siol.net
Wed Nov 5 09:17:05 UTC 2003

WiggTekMicro Corp wrote:

>Thanks for all of the updates.  I am a bit more at ease about our Linux
>movement....   However, I just wanted to know if anyone knows why Red
>Hat is so dis-functional, and yet, it is still advertised by everyone in
>media, and otherwise, as the most widely ported distribution.  I was
>reading in the Kdevelope list, that Red Hat Linux 9 even ships with a
>non-working version of Kdevelope.  Is is because they are trying to
>replace Windows on the server, and general desktop, and forgetting about
>developers, or what?  I did have an idea, while sitting on hold with Red
>Hat Sales for more than twenty minutes, was that they are doing the
>Microsoft method of shipping crapola versions, so that you have to call
>them form support.  However, I have no experience with their Enterprise
>Linux distributions, and hope that those things actually work.
>
>Does anyone have any further input about this stuff?

Long ago the Red Hat was de facto standard in Linux distro world. But
having one of the greatest market share they decided to not work on the
consensus with changes but go ahead. Maybe they assumed the others would
follow which obviously did not happen. The problems with RH is different
packaging phylosophy regarding the package names and lately more and
more the file system organization.

Another problematic distro is traditionally Debian. Again, from quite
the same reasons - they covered special kind of market from the very
beginning and they followed the market and not other distros. Again, the
filesystem organization is the problem.

So far, the SuSE is one of the distros with a lot less changes in
packaging and filesystem organization. I am using it from the 1.0 (would
you believe ?) on and really no problems ever and basically the same
organization (They only changed the package names once at about 6.4
through 7.0 I think). No problems, except for multimedia - cdrecord
sometimes works sometimes not, ATI cards are not fully supported e.g.
with the TV out etc etc. What will happen in situation of having the
UnitedLinux also in-SuSE-house besides the "normal" distro, obviously
nobody knows.

I am also dayly (automagically) building the KDevelop for qt-3.0.5,
qt-3.2.1, qt-3.2.2, kde-3.0.5, kde-3.1.4, kde-CVS and of course the
KDE-CVS. No problems, really, except for occasional CVS breakages. And
KDevelop works on all these platforms so far so good.

Iztok