readDockConfig

falk.brettschneider at gmx.de falk.brettschneider at gmx.de
Wed May 28 08:00:15 UTC 2003

Hi Robe,

I saw in the code you show() the mainwindow too early.
If you call MainWindow::show() earlier than
KDockMainWindow::readDockConfig(), then internally a huge number of QWidget::reparent() calls and related
events are queued and executed during the visible startup (under heavy CPU load
so to speak). That lets several event-timing problems of Qt and some
race-conditions occur. That's why the re-docking seems to be failed and looks so
"buggy". The only thing we can do is to avoid showing the mainwindow as long as
the widgets-docking (initial creation of all widgets _and_ after that the
execution of readDockConfig() for re-docking) isn't finished. To improve the
startup responsibility, KDevelop rather should move its project loading to after
the MainWindow::show() execution.
There must be 2 stages of startup. First try to build up the widgets as fast
as possible to be visible, second load the recent project and stuff.

Ciao
F at lk