Code Completion in Gideon (comments)

Gael Martin gael at kelta.net
Mon May 26 21:56:03 UTC 2003

Dear all.
I've been testing the new Persistent Class Store and code completion
utilities in the CSV head 25/05/03, please find the following
bugs/improvements:

-When using UI interfaces with QTDesigner to design forms and widget I've
noticed that the parser does not parse the classes and methods inside the
UI file. Therefore the code completion only shows the methods and objects
that you've added in your derivated class. This is because you don't
actually put the interfaces headers in the project since they get
re-created automatically by UIC and get added to the project implicitely.
However if you build the project once and then add the headers to the
project the parser recognise the methods and objects of the interface, but
that causes chaos when you come to distribute or clean the project since
the interface headers are not distributable.
Would this be possible for the parser to automatically parse the interface
headers implicitely (if they exists) or even better parse the UI file
directly?

-When using code completion along with word completion sometimes you get
the word completion first and don't even see the actual methods name. E.g.
if in your code you've already used the method setCaption, when the code
completion kicks when you type -> after a QMainWindow class for instance
you only see the setCaption instead of seeing the actual method
setCaption(Qstring*), this can get confusing and lead people to use
methods or objects which don't actually belong to the class. If you try
the same trick with a class QListViewItem you will also get the setCaption
in the code completion if you start typing "set", but setCaption is not a
member of QListViewItem.
Maybe the word completion should stop when we dealing with a class or use
different shortcut to kick them.

-Just a nice thing to add to the code completion would be icons to
differentiate between, methods, object, signals, etc...

A part from that this is real great tool and I'm sure this will get more
and more people to use Kdevelop.

Gael Martin
gael at kelta.net