adding vcs support "subversion" to kDevelop

R. Welz r_welz at gmx.de
Thu Jun 26 21:47:05 UTC 2003

Hello.

First I apologize to all for crossposting but I think this could be of
interest to some developers on both lists.

And hello Mr. Marchand,
I've got you email address from the dev at subversion.tigris.org list. I
think you could enlighten me with some comments, too.

May I suggest to have this discussion continue on
kdevelop-devel at kdevelop.org, so traffic is less? There even is an
archive for the interested but not subscribed readers at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
Search for kdevelop-devel on that page.

Here I go:
I want to have subversion (svn) support in kDevelop as an additional
version control system to cvs.
I was told that Mr. Marchand manages this branch, but the current svn
support is for an elderly version of svn. To include support for
up-to-date versions of svn a recompile/rebuild is neccessary with the
latest libraries for each release of svn.

My demand for svn support is so important to me, that I think of
contributing to kDevelop.

I have had an idea:
Why not adding version control setup by allowing to enter Commands in a
dialog for the most needed functionality:
Options Menue->Additional VCS Setup opens a dialog where to choose a
Version Control System (which is empty first).

An "Add", "Delete", "Setup..." button.

You choose "Add" and a dialog ask for the name. Enter "subversion" or
what ever you like.

You will then have another dialog with a list box containing "Add",
"Checkin", "Checkout", "Get" and so on, all that what is needed for
basic version system usage. And a text input line beneath where you can
enter the command line call for that functionality. And a pop up button
where you can choose variables like file paths, file names, error
output filename and the like.

You select for example "Add" and enter "svn add %fn" what means "svn
add filename".

And later probably an "Advanced..." button where some checkboxes for
other version control systems can be checked and some fine tuning can
be made.

Thus by using command line commands instead of incoorperating the API
kDevelop can quickly use any new version of svn.

The incoorperation of the API could be done, too, but since nearly
every new release of svn requires a new API (as I was told) the command
line style setup enables users (like me) to use every new release of
svn in my home network. I wan't to stay up to date with every new
release and I can imagine others too.

What do you think about my suggestions?
To checkout kDevelop and start coding I need some more advice, too,
since this is my first Linux project, although I have two years
Experience in coding commercial software for the Mac OS X.

Please enlighten me with comments and suggestions.

Greetings from Germany,
Robert