Gideon snapshot

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Wed Jun 25 04:03:05 UTC 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:49, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> I never heard any objections to the proposal I raised before, which was to
> incorporate Gideon as a release with KDE 3.2 - just like Quanta is.  In
> fact, I've already told Stephan Kulow to do this.
>
> This means that we're following the KDE 3.2 release timeline as posted on
> the KDE website.
>
> So, we'll have one more "alpha" or "snapshot" release in about 4 weeks,
> then we'll be working with the same schedule as 3.2 (and be switching to
> two branches at that point).  With this, we'll also get packaged up by the
> packagers with every KDE release - an added bonus!
>
> Any objections?  This is what I've proposed before, but no one has thus far
> objected.

Dec 8th as the final release? I would much prefer an earlier release than
this. For instance, it would be good to be going to Nove Hrady  with the
first beta (aug 22nd) and get developer adoption there, with the actual
release ending up in early October.  (I can not afford to go to Nove Hrady
unfortunately :()

I confess that I don't have a real objection to a 3.2 release cycle though.

btw - It took me a few minutes to find the plan
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.2-release-plan.html

and here it is in plain text ...

KDE 3.2

August 22nd - 31st, 2003: KDE conference

 Many KDE developers will meet in Nove Hrady, Czech Republic to discuss what
final touches are missing for KDE 3.2 and update the feature plan.

September 1st, 2003: Start of Release Cycle

 The HEAD branch is frozen for feature commits that are not listed in the
planned-feature document. Only bugfixes and the listed feature-commits are to
be committed. Still, binary compatibility is not required, i18n string
changes are allowed. KDE 3.2 Alpha 1 is tagged and tarballs are made for
testing.

September 8th, 2003: Alpha1 release

 Alpha 1 is announced. The incoming bugs will be reviewed for their severity.

Monday September 29th, 2003: Preparing Beta1

 The HEAD branch is tagged as Beta 1 and is frozen for nonurgent commits.
Tarballs are released to the packagers.

Monday October 6th, 2003: Announcement Beta1

 Beta 1 is announced. Hopefully KDE 3.2 will be stable enough to be used by a
wider audience.

Sunday November 2nd, 2003: Final Day for non-bugfix commits

Depending on the number of bugs with severity > normal, we either release 3.2
Beta 2 or 3.2 RC 1. Announcement a week later.

The below is target to change and assumes we need only one beta as the major
focus in the whole development process was bug fixing.

Monday November 3rd, 2003: i18n string freeze

 The i18n strings are frozen. The HEAD branch is frozen for release. Any
non-trivial patches to CVS have to be approved by at least one other related
developer.

Sunday November 9th, 2003: Preparing RC 1

 3.2 RC1 tarballs are made and uploaded for testing.

Sunday November 16th, 2003: Preparing RC 2

 3.2 RC2 tarballs are made and uploaded for testing.

Sunday November 23th, 2003: Last day for i18n changes

 Last day for i18n commits which will go into 3.2 final.

Monday December 1st, 2003: Preparing RC 3

 3.2 RC3 is tagged and being made available to the packagers.

Monday December 8th, 2003: KDE 3.2 Release