[CODE] remote (embedded) debugging with kdevelop?

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Wed Jul 9 14:13:04 UTC 2003

On tisdagen den 8 juli 2003 14.35, Stefan Taferner wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 July 2003 12:37, Roger Larsson wrote:

> > > I had an irc chat with Roberto about it on Sunday.
> > > It will be added, but we need some work to add it.
> > >
> > > Mainly from my point of view its a place in the project options to set
> > > the remote host.
> > >
> > > What was not discussed was who writes the project option dialog.
> > > Roberto?
> >
> > Hmm... this requires that target has:
> > * gdb
> > * mounted remote filesystem(?)
> > * ethernet (ppp over serial could work - but slow...)
>
> Yes, some sort of tcp/ip connection.
>
> I did the whole thing because we need it here at work. And we cannot
> use gdbserver because it is not ported to our server platform.

So what are you using? (Axis CRIS?)
GDBserver is ported to lots of architectures...

> As long as you can automatically start gdbserver on the remote
> system it should be possible with similar techniques to do remote
> debugging.

My script could do this as well.
I have made some modification that are closer to working - for some reason it
looks like the communication trouble is between gideon and the exec:ed gdb...
[use it as shell to execute gdb in]

I really think that a optional gdb init file is a good idea.
(here you can add a "target extended-remote")

> And there could be some config choices about what
> to start on the remote machine (gdb or gdbserver) and how to
> start it (rsh, ssh, rexec, etc).

A script is better - people writing embedded code might use such
strange debug setups...
And we already have the option to execute in a user specified shell.
(where you can strip, download, ...)
Your program can be used in that script.

Anyway, thanks for your code. It might be able to explain my
problems...

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson