CVS 030701: solaris build fails due to tar/gtar

Daniel Franke daniel.franke at imbs.uni-luebeck.de
Wed Jul 2 13:21:02 UTC 2003

> > tar -cf gnu.tar -C ./gnu AUTHORS -C ./gnu COPYING [...] -C ./gnu TODO
>
> that does not work on on linux, the second -C command will try to
> change the
> dir again so AUTHORS works but then it will look for ./gnu/gnu/COPYING...
>
> > ... solaris tar is somewhat annoying ... :(
> I fear so :( Can you try whether it works with the attached patch?

Harry,

I tried and ...

#> gmake
tar="/bin/bash
/home/franke/build/kde/kdevelop-cvs/kdevelop/admin/missing --run tar"; \
if test -z "$tar"; then tar=tar; fi; \
$tar -cf admin.tar -C . admin
gzip admin.tar
tar="/bin/bash
/home/franke/build/kde/kdevelop-cvs/kdevelop/admin/missing --run tar"; \
if test -z "$tar"; then tar=tar; fi; \
$tar -cf gnu.tar -C ./gnu AUTHORS  COPYING \
                ChangeLog  INSTALL  NEWS  README  TODO
tar: ChangeLog: No such file or directory
tar: INSTALL: No such file or directory
tar: NEWS: No such file or directory
tar: README: No such file or directory
tar: TODO: No such file or directory
[...]
(another 'Copying' file is found in working directory)

... it didn't work :(
I believe it's not, not finding the tar binary, but its differences in
implementation to GNU tar.

Maybe if

	AM_MISSING_PROG(AMTAR, tar)

in 'aclocal.m4' could be changed to

	AM_MISSING_PROG(AMTAR, gtar)

on solaris, all current (and also future) problems
concerning 'tar' would be solved at once (I believe it's fully compatible to
tar on e.g. linux) !?

	Daniel