Editor integration

Milo Hoffman Milo at NG-Projekt.ORG
Sun Jan 26 15:56:03 UTC 2003

Hi all,
i'm currently in solving qEditor's configuration problems - and there are a
few :)

First of all, a list of problems, i encountered:
 - the colorizer must recolorize, if the config has changed (is not yet done)
 - the config must be safed _after_ the user changed them.
 - if one calls the config-dialog, this shown one relates to the currently
   open document. If there are more documents open, the others won't even be
   informed about a configuration change. (This one drives me nuts!)

These are the "main" problems. This raises the following side effects:

 - It is currently nearly imposibile to save a configuration. (The only way is
   to open gideon, open exactly one file, change the config and close gideon
   again)

 - A change to the configuration applies neither to all open files, nor to
   newly opend files, until closage of the file, which was active while
   editing the configuration.

I've seen, that qEditor does not inherit KTextEditor::ConfigInterface. Anyway,
this Interface also has not yet a way to solve the above problems.
When i look at Kate, it has almost the same problem. I think this is mainly
due to the misuse of SDI-Documents in a MDI-UI (Talking of IDEAl-Mode).

I think that the easiest way to solve this, is making the Mainwindow call
readConfig, when a (editor-)part has been activated.
Another way was, to have a "round-trip" after the configuration has been
changed. This would mean, the editor would have to tell it's container that
the configuration has changed, and thus the container would have to call
readConfig on all currently open editor-parts (at least all editor parts of
the same type).

Sascha "Milo" Cunz