PartController::saveFile() problem?

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Sat Dec 13 19:11:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

I was browsing through the PartController source code with the goal to find
out how KDevelop saves the files before running make on a project. (My app,
Kile, is supposed to do a similar thing.)

Anyway, a pitfall is, I guess, that the method
void PartController::saveFile(KParts::Part *part)
returns immediately after it calls
part->save()
therefore you can't be sure that the files have been saved before make is
started, can you?

I've checked the KParts source code, and KParts::ReadWritePart::saveToURL()
connects the KIO job result signal to slotUploadFinished(), which in turns
emits completed(). So somehow one should connect to this signal.

Am I missing something, or shouldn't this procedure fail? In practice it might
work ok in almost all cases, since saving a file usually is very fast.
However, I really want to be sure that files are saved before make is
started.

best,
Jeroen

--
Kile - an Integrated LaTeX Environment for KDE
http://kile.sourceforge.net