Gideon Crashes when creating new / importing existing Perl project under FreeBSD 4.8 Stable

Tony Byrne kdevelop at byrnehq.com
Fri Aug 15 11:35:09 UTC 2003

Guys,

I've just built Gideon from CVS HEAD and it appears to be extremely
crash happy on my FreeBSD 4.8 Stable system.  Any attempt to create a
new Perl project or import an existing Perl project causes Gideon to
SIGSEGV with the backtrace below.  Although, I'm not a C
programmer, I can create a C project without seeing this problem.
I thought it may have been caused by having old versions of *.kdevelop
project files lying around, but the problem persists when these are
deleted.  The last successful build of Gideon that I have run under
FreeBSD was Alpa4a, which didn't exhibit this problem.

Backtrace:

0x2938e1c8 in __sys_poll () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
#0  0x2938e1c8 in __sys_poll () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
#1  0x2938d6ad in _thread_kern_sched_state_unlock () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
#2  0x2938d062 in _thread_kern_scheduler () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
#3  0x0 in ?? ()

I'm running FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE and my Perl is at 5.8.0. Gideon was
built with --enable-debug=full and using the CXXFLAGS posted by Harald
earlier this week.  Berkeley DB is at 4.1 and my KDE is 3.1.2.

I'm not a C++/KDE developer, my forte being Perl, so this post is probably
short of some needed forensics.  I'd be interested in getting to the
bottom of this as even though Gideon is in Alpha, it was proving to be
a boost to my Perl programming. Let me know if I can supply any
further info.

Thanks,

Regards,

Tony.