Some minor changes/additions to plugin handling in Gideon

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Wed Apr 30 18:22:12 UTC 2003

Hi,

I just made a commit I hope isn't too controversial. It's been discussed (and
"approved", if there is such a thing, on #kdevelop).

1. The addition of a new scope - "Core" (which gives us Core/Global/Project)
for plugins. A Core scope plugin is a Global scope plugins that will
unconditionally be loaded, and is not presented as user selectable in the
plugins selection. Any configuration dialog a Core plugin exposes will be
shown in the global settings, as expected. The only change that needs to be
made to a plugin to change the scope is of course the line in the .desktop
file. (ServiceTypes=KDevelop/Core )

The main idea behind this is to, in Roberto's words, "keep everything that can
be modelled as a plugin, as a plugin", which in some cases makes it sensible
to be able to make a functionality in gideon non-optional. ("powerusers" can
of course change their .desktop files anyway they like..)

2. The previous Plugins dialog was far from userfriendly, nor did there seem
to be any thoughts to translation present.
This is an attempt to alleviate that so some extent. The plugin list is now
sorted alphabetically, and when clicking on a plugin line a description
appears for that plugin under the box. This is done by to some extent changes
the meaning of some fields in the .desktop file for plugins: "Name" is kept
as is for identification (KDevReplace). "GenericName" is added to produce a
userfriendly localizable name for the plugin ("Search - Replace"). "Comment"
is now used for a userfriendly verbose text to describe what a plugin does
(also localizable).

Currently, I haven't started adding the descriptions (everybody feel free to
describe your plugin!) so for the moment we cheat and use "Comment" for name
in the plugin list if "GenericName" is empty. This should of course change. I
didn't do this to the splash screen, which is why it right now only displays
"Plugin:      "

regards,

// teatime