Berkeley DB dependency

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Tue Apr 22 13:06:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 11:50, Iztok wrote:
> Apparently not since the configure still fails wanting Berkeley DB. What
> the hack is this particular DB needed for ? Isn't the MySQL enough ?
> Will we need to install 5 or 6 DB systems to run all that KDE based
> software at the end ?

we found out yesterday night that BDB 4.1 changed source code compatibility
and that the fix will be a bit more complex, so please be patient for another
day :)

BDB is not a Database Management System like MySQL, but a lightweight library
that operates on flat files (like good old dBase). No server, no
configuration, no SQL parser, nothing, just a small library and a few header
files. A lot of KDE/Linux/Unix tools use it, so it should be pre-installed
anyways.

We need it to efficiently store the auto-completion stuff for the persistant
class store. Storing it in XML files would waste too much disk space and
would be too slow, so we decided to use the most lightweight and most mature
library we could find to store a lot of data.

Best regards,
Harry