gideon alpha 4...

Holger Schröder holger-kde at holgis.net
Wed Apr 16 04:46:03 UTC 2003

Hi,

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 23:11, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>
> I like your idea, and would be willing to help, but I do have a few
> concerns:
>
> 1) I don't want to pester the KDE folks to build packages for us on a
> weekly basis.  If we want to do it externally, then that's another matter.

so what about announcing a tar.bz2 package of gideon once a week, which is
guaranteed to build, so that people don´t accidently checkout a "broken" cvs
version just between two commits from somebody, which belong together, that
doesn´t compile.

i am quite impressed by the stability of gideon, as it is still alpha, and my
kde development system never really crashed, i only found some little bugs or
missing features here and there. my experiences when hacking under windows
were quite different, windows xp crashed several times a day on me...

as i am on a gentoo system, the "release" process is as much as adapting a
single text file in less than two minutes, so i guess there is no need to
bother the real packagers with this.

of course i don´t have any voting rights on a feature freeze, but i´ll tell
you my opinion anyways ;-)

i think gideon should go on progressing exactly as it is now, without the
burden of a feature freeze, where nobody can commit new stuff for a longer
time, i think the stability is taken care of, as people are using gideon on a
day to day base.

> 2) The main reason the latest alpha took so long to get out (and still is)
> is that we're making so many rapid advances that it's hard to put a cap on
> it. I anticipate that this isn't something that is going to be normal,
> especially once we start into a feature freeze.  My goal is to put off a
> feature freeze for as long as we can, and not any longer.  Right now we're
> planning on tentatively releasing along the same timeframe as kde 3.2,
> though if we can get there faster - that's obviously great too!

i like the idea of releasing the same time kde 3.2 will be released, as long
as it will be after the nove hrady meeting ;-)

> However, we definitely can benefit from someone who can keep up with the
> ChangeLogs and document them!

i´ll keep an eye on that, perhaps i will also find some time to write a
tutorial for it, as it seems there are quite a few things to write about ;-)

> Caleb

Holger