KDE 3.0 support?

John Firebaugh jfirebaugh at kde.org
Thu Apr 3 18:29:04 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 11:35, falk.brettschneider at gmx.de wrote:
> > Are we still supporting kdelibs < 3.1?
>
> Of course. The effort is minimal.

Ok, so if I commit my fix (which uses KDE 3.1 APIs) for the "Show Toolbar"
menu items being doubled up in the menu, in the wrong place, and generally
not working correctly, you will be willing to port it to 3.0? For me, the
effort is not minimal.

> > If so, can we please drop it?
>
> No. I know lots of people using distributions with KDE-3.0. Including me.
> And always forcing people to constantly upgrade KDE is annoying and a bad
> policy in general.

The policy I'm suggesting is exactly the same one as KOffice has: requiring
the last stable release of kdelibs. I disagree that it is a bad policy. What
distributions don't have 3.1?

> Remember most MSDOS programs still work on WinXP.

That's not the same thing. The parallel statement to our situation is "Most
WinXP programs still work on MSDOS," which is obviously false.

-John