gideon compile problems and crashes

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Thu Sep 19 18:55:07 UTC 2002

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 09:39:14AM -0700, Roland Krause wrote:
> Simon,
> I dont understand why and since when is that necessary?

am_edit (aside from a lot of other things) scans the sources for moc
inclusions and generates targets for generating the .moc files as
well as making the actual source depend on that target.

Obviously when changing sources to include the moc files instead of
compiling them separately, the resulting diff contains only changes
to the sources.

If you apply that diff to a directory with an already generated
Makefile (where previously there were no moc inclusions -> am_edit
generated targets to generate .moc.cpp and added it to _SOURCES) ,
then compilation will fail because the Makefile obviously lacks the
targets and dependencies to generate the .moc files.

What's the solution? To re-run am_edit. So if it's just about one
directory using the force-reedit target is the fast and running
Makefile.cvs is the slow way to achieve that.

As for the second part of your question: It has been that way since
the days of automoc :)

Simon