team interview

Bernd Gehrmann Bernd-Gehrmann at gmx.de
Thu May 30 10:46:03 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 23:45, you wrote:
> Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> >On Thursday 23 May 2002 14:22, you wrote:
> >>Maybe I could start some investigation on this issue again. But I think I
> >>will need some help, because I'm not very familiar with the document/view
> >>model and how to map this concept to emacs'es buffers.
> >
> >The document/view separation is purely theoretical at the moment,
> >as there is no editor implementation that does multiple views per
> >document
>
> KDevelop-2.x is able to open multiple views for one document.
> Window-->NewWindow.

You cut the essential part of the statement ;-) kate-the-part happily creates
multiple views per document, but they are not activated when you use
KParts::PartManager. Kate-the-app has its own KateViewManager class for
this purpose, but that doesn't work if you embed arbitrary parts and only use the
KParts:: and KTextEditor:: interfaces.

But that was not really the point. What I wanted to emphasize is that when
you embed an external editor, it is not essential to make its use of multiple
views explicit. It can claim to support only the KTextEditor/Editor service,
and still show multiple views. The only thing that doesn't work then is that
the IDE itself can not create additional views for a document. But apart from
that, it does everything (code completion, parsing) only on the currently
focused view, i.e. from the point of view of the IDE it is irrelevant whether
there are additional views which show the same document as the currently
active view.

> BTW: Is Gideon able to open (and maybe to convert to the current Gideon
> format) all the .kdevprj projects we've used until KDevelop-2.1.1? I
> really don't want to regenerate because it always needs manual adapting
> which would be annoying for the 50 local .kdevprj projects I have. They
> mostly are separate plugin projects and for instance the binary location
> is very special here. bin_program= in the .kdevprj files...

For mass conversion, it is probably the easiest to prepare one template
with customized file tree and file groups settings, copy it everywhere and
then transfer the differing settings with a script, like

  prog=`grep ^bin_program foo.kdevprj | sed -e s/bin_program=//`
  perl -pi -e "s#\<mainprogram/\>#<mainprogram>$prog</mainprogram>#" foo.kdevelop

(modulo some backslashes...)

I think I will also write a script (or C++ program, so KSimpleConfig can be
used) for an automatic conversion which is able to convert the file lists for
custom projects.

Bernd.