team interview

Bernd Gehrmann Bernd-Gehrmann at gmx.de
Wed May 22 22:46:04 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 12:48, you wrote:
> Next set of questions:
>
> - How much do you integrate with Cervisia, KDbg, QtDesigner, kdiff, ...

You can add a lot of tools into the Tools menu. This is more flexible
than it looks it first glance, e.g. you can insert certain placeholders
in the command line which get replaced with the project directory,
current file etc. Integrating Cervisia better is a matter of making it
more modular, so that not the whole user interface has to be
swallowed. KDbg... well, has it anything that the integrated debugger
hasn't? You can add Qt designer files to a project, but for editing dialogs
you invoke designer as external process with a separate main window.
As designer is practically an IDE for itself (in particular if you look at
BlackAdder or QSA which are based on it), it would require a huge
effort to achieve a tighter integration.

> - How about bitkeeper (and other cvs-thingies) support?

In Gideon, such things can easily be provided as plugins. IMO, it
would be natural if the companies behind such tools funded the
development of appropriate plugins. Support for Subversion would
be cool too. Volunteers are welcome :-) It's really easy, if you look
at the cvs part.

> - What editors are available with kdevelop ? any plan for future ?

The released versions still have a quite old version of kwrite. Gideon
uses the KTextEditor interface in kdelibs, so you can use any editor
that implements this interface. Currently available are kate, qeditor
(based on the editor in Qt designer) and nedit. Naturally, you will not
get the same amount of integration with all of them. Our main interest
is of course in those which provide the features an IDE needs, like
a code completion box. Nevertheless, people who implement other
editors are welcome to ask if they have problems.

> - What other tools/plugin does kdevelop integrate

Hmm, kdoc, konsole, ctags, cvs and grep come to mind. Gideon also integrates
doxywizard, ftnchek, Artistic Style and a Gameboy Advance simulator.

Bernd.