KDevelop team interview

F@lk Brettschneider falk.brettschneider at gmx.de
Mon May 6 22:52:03 UTC 2002

Hi,

Roland Krause wrote:

>>To all of you:
>>
>>- Do you use KDevelop to develop KDevelop ?

Yes, it's the best way to notice the bugs and the missing features.

>>Are you working on other
>>projects and do you use KDevelop for them ?

Of course. I'm used to MSVC. After I switched to Linux I had to work
with XEmacs and ddd and that was absolutely horror. Even in my early
years I used vi and joe and command line make. I also tried KDEStudio
and some other IDEs including kdbg but I was just satisfied when I
discovered KDevelop with its integrated debugger.

>>3. Branches
>>- What's the mess with all those branches ?  Gideon is the main
>>branch ?
>>

>A new codebase, created by Bernd, was put into CVS HEAD. It's working
>name is "gideon".
>
>Maintenance was performed on a branch called KDE_2_2_BRANCH. This was
>the version that was released with KDE-2.x. The maintenance version
>began a life of it's own.

I just want to add to Roland that right from the beginning it was clear
the KDevelop rewrite will take months. That's why we had to bridge the
time with intermediate releases of the old but working code mixed with
new features, just to keep people interested, and to provide developers
a strong IDE they can work with. A long time gap between versions is a
bad idea, above of all when there are other competitors which could take
the lead. So we decided to release the KDevelop-2.x series with the MDI
user interface, code-completion and the cross-compiling features as well
as lots of such little goodies and bugfixes.
Meanwhile I've been waiting for the time that the new KDevelop rewrite
sources gets in state when it's save to switch to this development
branch. I was member of the first rewrite attempt and weeks of work were
lost when all was replaced with Gideon, the second rewrite attempt. Yes,
it's always hard to organize such rewrites, I think the best is a few
people write the base and the rest of the crew follows after that. I
suppose this time has begun at present.
Currently, the current question is whether there will be another
KDevelop-2 version (2.2) or if it's a good idea to release Gideon. The
danger is to be too fast and to become worse than the 2.x versions.

Ciao
F at lk