kdevelop + kde3 (suse8) - bug ?

Bernd Gehrmann Bernd-Gehrmann at gmx.de
Mon May 6 14:41:02 UTC 2002

On Friday 03 May 2002 22:46, you wrote:

> How should it be automatically handled when there are two possibilities
> to open a file?
> I could start designer but I also could open the file as ASCII text file
> in KDevelop.

Problem is, designer files aren't ASCII, they are utf8. The same for
most .po, .rc and desktop files and for Java sources. This is not a problem
when you write everything in english, but I'm sure it can be annoying if
you go beyond that. I don't think it's possible to fix this quickly in the
old kwrite sources. It is more disappointing that not even the kate part gets
this right. It always interprets text files in the user's local encoding.
What really is needed is a) an automatic detection of the file encoding. This
should be straight-forward for xml files. b) A method either in
KParts::ReadOnlyPart or in KTextEditor which allows to set the encoding
explicitly. This would make it possible implement a context menu in the file
browser where the user can choose the encoding for cases where it's not
automatically possible.

Bernd.