A common roadmap

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 22:35:06 UTC 2002

Ok, now after this nightmare is over and we actually figured out that
we like each other and want to make the KDevelop project succeed, let's
try a roadmap or TODO list or whatever.

This roadmap has only one goal.

The goal is to unify gideon (aka HEAD) and KDevelop (aka
KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH) into one stable application with the name KDevelop.

The application will have gideon's modularity, i.e. it will be based on
KParts and plugins.

We need an editor core, which will be based on KTextEditor and enhanced
through and implemented through a Kate::Part. KTextEditor is yet in an
early stage. Until the KTextEditor interface is feature rich enough for
KDevelop we will use Kate specific functionality but we will try to
avoid this also.

We use KDevelop's codebase that will be refactored and transitioned
into the structure that gideon has now, but it will remain stable and
usable during the entire process.

At the core of KDevelop will be Harry's viewManager that will use
Falk's QExtMDI library. All Parts will use the Windows, Tool and
OutputViews that the library provides. They will request them from the
viewManager which keeps track of things. Falk will implement a
"splitter" mode and the current gideon look and feel is to onehundred
percent preserved.

What we need to do:

1 Finish up all KAction work.
  Create Toolbars via KAction.
  Port gideon's StatusBar.
  Create all context menus via KAction.
  Fix the crash that comes from integrating QExtMDI windowMenu.
  Refactor ckdevelop.{cpp,h} and ckdevelop_init.cpp, i.e. delete tons
  of obsolete code

2 Move docViewManager into it's own directory.
  Then replace/enhance it with gideons documentManager and viewManager.

  Remove all existing docViewMan code.

3 Port gideon's or katex's plugin/part manager.
  I believe Robe has already done this but it almost
  certainly needs work. Also there are parts that cant be
  removed.

4 Improve kate part integration.
  It doesnt actually merge yet, this needs to be done at the same time
  when we integrate the new viewManager.

5 Start porting all gideon parts/plugins. MHK's work is going to be the
  key here, once the plugins use the correct interface this shouldnt be

  a big deal, but they probably need to change interaction to the
  viewManager.

Let's get this released with KDE-3.1.

At this point we will have a unification of gideon and KDevelop.

We will then need to find something else to fight about, maybe we can
discuss the merits of "emacs vs. vi" since we all think the same about
gnome.

Please comment and improve this roadmap.

Roland