The day of seperation is here

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 20:03:04 UTC 2002

John, I agree with your analysis. You are right on!

There is one last argument I would like to make. KDevelop is quite a
large codebase and it has a lot of functionality.

"The devil is in the detail", as we Germans say. Gideon has a much
better structure but none of the details, hence it has about 1/8th of
the current functionality of KDevelop (if that). These details have
been implemented over the course of many years and they will get lost,
all of them, if we continue with the gideon base.

I give one example, KDevelop Tools vs. gideon Tools, can you specify a
file or directory name to the call of a gideon tool? No you can't, not
because it is impossible, but because it is not implemented. It is a
detail. No one has bothered to implement it.

My conclusion is:

I would like to make KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH into HEAD and move gideon into
GIDEON_BRANCH.

Then, I would like to nominate GiGaFaLk to be the "fearless project
leader" and to ask Ralf "Kand-ALF" Nolden to be our chief advocate.
This way we can split between "technical" and "strategical" roles.

I would like to volunteer myself as "Parts Coordinator", I will make a
list of available gideon parts and plugins and will try to coordinate
between the respective maintainers for the port to KDevelop.

I want to volunteer HarryF as the "head of ViewManagment", i.e. his
task is to maintain the ViewManager, which he has already started to do
anyway, unfortunatley on the wrong codebase.

Everybody else get's to do the fun stuff! Work on parts, plugins,
gideon, java whatsoever.

None of the work spent on gideon shall be lost. We can make KDevelop
into a "multilanguage" IDE, the proof that that is possible is gideon.

Now, let's make it real.

Roland