The day of seperation is here

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Wed Mar 27 01:29:07 UTC 2002

Hi,

> A fork can no longer be prevented.

Sorry, forking is not an option.

Forking will split up the development team even more (and there are few enough
anyways). It will lead to more code duplication and finally we'll have two
half-finished versions. Not to mention web-sites and all the other stuff.

We did a major step forward by integrating Gideon parts into KDevelop2 and
this was a step in the right direction.

Now that we can use Gideon parts in KDevelop2 I suggest calling them "KDevelop
parts" since this is what they are. PARTS of KDevelop. Code for an IDE that
kicks ass. Code that belongs into the MAIN branch.

Whether we choose KDevelop2 or Gideon as main IDE is not that important, I
don't care about different branches or maybe even move Gideon core away, but
the modular design has to survive.

I suggest that we stick to the release plan made by Falk:
- try to get KDE_2_2_BRANCH as stable as possible
- hack support for KDevelop parts into KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH.

After that we can decide again what will be the new "official" KDevelop core.

Best regards,
Harry