Codecompletion - Project options?

Andrea Aime aaime at libero.it
Sat Mar 2 21:20:14 UTC 2002

Alle 07:52, giovedì 28 febbraio 2002, Daniel Engelschalt ha scritto:
> hello andrea and others,
>
> > Ok, I'm trying Gideon on my (very limited) spare time....
> > what would you like me to test?
> > Ciao
> > Andrea
>
> please create a new project, e.g. c++ / kde, and enable the persistant
> classstore and pre-parsing (project options -> classstore options). then
> add at least 2 directories to pre-parsing ($KDEDIR/include [with subdirs],
> $QTDIR/include [without subdirs]) and restart gideon. after parsing these a
> pre-parsing-classstore (-pp.pcs) > 16mb should be written to the
> project-directory. (if the classstore is smaller, just add /usr/include
> with subdirs and the classstore is about 27mb :)

Yes, I've done it. With only KDE and QT includes the classStore
goes up to 17 MB, but now that I've included also /usr/include
it is 37 MB... no crashes, it only takes  several seconds (10 or
more) to be loaded, and also when persisted bask on the disk. Code completion
is almost an instant pop-up, really pleasing, althought on my test
project it seems that methods argument are not reported when pressing
ctrl+j (an empty box appears)... strange, since they are present in the
code completion method list (that is, the list reports both the name,
arguments and return type of methods).
I think that Roberto's fixes should be ported to Gideon, in main() no
code completion, it is working only in method's body, not in global
functions...

Is code hinting supposed to report the Doxygen documentation
associated with a method? If so, it is a wonderful idea :-)

> the problem is that my gideon at home stops writing this file at 2^24 byte
> and a SIGRT appears (but if the classstore is smaller everything is fine).
> only roberto has tried it yet using kde3 and for him it works perfectly...
>
> so please send me your results including your setup (qt-/kde-version) so
> maybe it's just a bug in my system (but where ?).

Setup (software):
gcc 2.96
glibc 2.2.4
kde3 and qt-copy coming from cvs (recent checkout)
Setup (hardware):
Acer travelmate notebook, with 1 Gh processor and 128 MB of RAM

Ah, btw, with the big classstore (kde+qt+/usr/include) gideon is sucking
lots of memory... top reports a size of 95 MB... once the code is stable
some lazy loading tecnique that avoids loading unecessary class description
would be welcomed, I think. (kernel 2.4.18rc2aa2 is handling the memory
pressure really well, I didn't notice any particular slowdown, maybe because
most of the classstore isn't used and so is swapped out)

Finally, a couple of little bug reports: if I add a directory to the
persistant class store, the directory is not included unless I restart
Gideon _and_ I delete the old classstore. If I press "cancel" when
asked for the new directory to add in the peristent class store, and
empty item is added to the list.

Now I will continue testing... mmm, would really like to develop my next
GRASS module (grass.itc.it) with Gideon, but I need Roberto's fixes since the
module will be written in straight C... any chance to see them added to
the current gideon's cvs? ;-)

Ciao
Andrea Aime

PS: it would be nice if the font used in the code completion drop down lists
could be configured, it is a little small for me now...