outputwidget

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Fri Jul 19 21:21:03 UTC 2002

On piątek 19 lipiec 2002 11:22 am, falk.brettschneider at gmx.de wrote:
> Kuba Ober wrote:
> >Hi,
> >after seeing so many problems with outputwidget, I've decided to do a
> > rewrite. I hope for it to be finished in next week.
> >It is an extremely simple widget that displays text stuff in a font of
> > your choice, allows changing colors, and lets you get the character
> > position (row, column) that was clicked by the mouse. It also allows
> > highlighting between a starting (row, column) and ending (row, column).
> >It doesn't allow changing of the text.
> >I'm still tweaking the data representation for word-wraping so that it
> > will be able to efficiently handle paragraphs of arbitrary length (the
> > algorithm is dumb, so there's not too much to improve there).
> >The code seems to be *a lot* shorter and simpler than Qt sources.
> > Actually, I'm not basing on qt sources at all -- I tried simplifying
> > them, but it seemed too much hassle.
> >The whole thing uses qt2 api so it should work equally well in kde2 and
> > kde3. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
>
> My opinion:
> Do not do this.
> KDevelop-2.1.x doesn't contain rewrites or new features.
> Put your effort on KDevelop-3.

I doubt that is a new feature -- it's a rewrite of buggy code. What if trolls
break it again in qt 3.0.6? Are we going to maintain this dumb piece of code
ad-infinitum each time new qt gets released?

Anyway, I'll have a go on this. I prefer working on tools that I work with,
rather than non-working tools (kdevelop 3 is in disarray, although
promising).

Cheers, Kuba