first draft of the interview

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 19:46:02 UTC 2002

Very good interview,
it's just very long, much too long i would say, and it needs some
editing and spellchecking/grammar correction of course.

I'll spare you that and just answer the remaining questions. :-)

> Unanswered:
> - how do you compare with other free IDE ? I've heard about eclipse,
> a fully
>   plugin based IDE. Do you know it ?

Eclipse is an effort spearheaded by IBM, it is mainly for developing
java/web based applications afaict. KDevelop is first about KDE, then
it is going to be just as plugin based as eclipse, except that the
underlying kparts technology is by far superior.

What do you think ?

Eclipse should be dropped in favor of KDevelop. Gnome should be
droppend in favor of KDE, Solaris, AIX, Irix and HP-UX should all be
dropped in favor of Linux. Choice is good, but choices must be made.

> - comparison with gIde ?
Is that thing still around? Thought it got renamed somehow. The answer
to the above question applies to any other IDE as well.

> - There was plan to reintegrate some KDE Studio features into
> KDevelop, did it
>   occur ?
No. It is not necessary, there are no features in KDE Studio that
KDevelop hasnt implemented better.

> - any relation between KDevelop and KDE Studio (Gold/Plus)? Like
>   Magellan/Aethera?
No, except the early version of KDE Studio was based on KDevelop.

> - does anyone pay anyone for develing KDevelop
Yeah, we all pay with our free time.

Roland