./configure --prefix

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 06:33:22 UTC 2002

Hmm,
I start KDE-3 applications under KDE-2 all the time, but there are some
issues. I would recommend that you first make a copy of your .kde and
Desktop directories. Copy them to say, ~/DesktopKDE3 and ~./kde3. Then
set KDEHOME to ~/.kde3 and start kcontrol from where you can set your
desktop and trash directories to ~/DesktopKDE3.

Now you have everything you need to run KDE-2 and KDE-3 from the same
account _and_ you can safely start KDE-3 apps from KDE-2.

Sometimes, if you start a KDE-3 app under KDE-2, kdeinit will restart
dcopserver and will start the KDE-3 version. Then your desktop has been
hijacked. Either relogin or restart a KDE-2 kdeinit.

Cut and Paste between KDE-3 and KDE-2 apps does not always work, at
least not for me.

Good luck,
Roland

PS: When RC1 is out, I believe we should all switch to get it over
with.