feature request :-)

Thomas Schilling snuffeler at gmx.net
Fri Jan 11 12:17:04 UTC 2002

> > Hi KDevelop team,
> > first of all thank you very much for your great development environment!
> > One feature I am still missing in KDevelop is the ability to split the
> > editor's view. When working on longer sources this is an essential tool
for
> > me. I would be glad to see that in KDevelop.
> You can switch to Childframe or Toplevel MDI mode and call 'New Window',
> the first entry in the 'Window' menu.
> Another view on that certain document will be opened.
> Then use e.g. 'Window'-->'Placing'-->'Tile vertically'

Well, I don't like both:

The MDI mode is somewhat ugly and not configurable (e.g.:
I have the close button on the left to aviod it being hit by accident)

The Top-level-mode has some worse usability problems:
- the navigation buttons and the menu etc. can be on another
desktop (isn't the top-level mode meant for using multiple
desktops? - but then you cannot use any menu item or tool button)
- if you decide not to use multiple desktops you'll have much less
space on the screen (since the menu+tools window is really biiig)

I'd think it was best to have it Kate-like. So with split-bars.
And maybe there could be some little icons on top of every
(sub-) window.

Thomas