c++ code completion status report

Daniel Engelschalt Daniel.Engelschalt at gmx.net
Mon Jan 7 16:13:04 UTC 2002

Am 07.01.02 15:21:11, schrieb Richard Dale <Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk>:

>Below is a 'quick and dirty' way of implementing code completion used by KDE
>Studio.
[...]
yes, i've heard about that and that's why i tried everything with flex because it
seemed to me as a very effective and fast way to reach our goals.

>With two C++ support directories, cppsupport and advancedcpp we could do
>simple hacks in cppsupport like this, and use it to get the UI and widgets
>prototyped and working. Then in advancedcpp, we could have the code
>completion C++ parser stuff, which would do a better job in the long term,
>even if it didn't work so well in the short term..
ok, i agree to open another directory.
but if i understand you right you want to use kde studio's method to see the ui is
working ? well, it is working, just type "test(" at the beginning of an empty line and
you see code hinting. very basic code completion with classes used in your project
should also be possible. that's not the problem (just enable cc at
parts/cppsupport/codecompletion.cpp - there is a #define at top of the code). but there
are a lot of things (parsing cpp-file, finding correct scope, ...) which are in a very
very early stage so i don't think we should make improvements to that code.

the only way i can see is to discuss what is "the best way for kdev" and then
implementing it. as i said before, my goal is to give a new user a leading hand for
easy things like QString x; x. or KApplication::
so we can get experience / a feeling what problems (may) come up and _then_ creating
the perfect parser. that is what i tried with my parser.
because it's one thing i've learned: what's your best program ?

the next one.

bye,
daniel