Problems with distribution creation (etags/automake related)

Jens Zurheide jens.zurheide at gmx.de
Sun Jan 6 12:53:04 UTC 2002

Hi everbody,

I am currently fighting with creating a source distribution of one of the
sample projects (kde2 normal). I am running KDevelop 2.1beta (CVS) under
KDE2.2.1.

The first thing that stopped me was that the autoconf/local/make framework
insists on using /opt/kde3 for the KDE installation. I have KDE3 lying
around in this directory but have everything configured for KDE2 and supply
--prefix=/usr/jens/kde2 to ./configure. Configuring from the command line
works fine. I found out that this is caused somewhere deep, deep in the
admin directory. Maybe a configuration option for the project configuration
would be nice. (BTW: the configure tab in the project options dialog looks
good but I wouldn't expect it under "compiler options").

But the real problem is the tags file. I think automake (using file
/usr/share/automake/tags.m4) puts the tags file in the KDE_DIST variable of
the Makefile.in which then is included in DISTFILES. Calling make dist
tries to re-create the tags file and executes etags with command-line
options not understood by etags (exuberant tags) version 5.0.2 or 5.2.
Removing tags from the KDE_DIST=... assignment in the Makefile works but
this is not a real solution. Is anybody out there knowing how to fix this?

Thanks,
Jens

PS: After some more investigations I found out that function
"sub tag_DIST ()" of am_edit puts "tags" automatically in KDE_DIST _if_ it
is present in the project root directory. Unforutnately "make distclean"
does not remove this file. Maybe one solution could be to block the tags
file at the beginning of tag_Dist() in the same way as the other files are
blocked there. But then "make tags" still won't work :(