c++ code completion status report

Gregor Zeitlinger zeitling at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Jan 5 18:33:04 UTC 2002

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Richard Dale wrote:
> No big deal really. It would probably be slower than a bison grammar too, and
> I don't know if such a non-deterministic parser generator exists.
Yes, it does. Read http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds7-5/bison.html It
properly shows that Bison is arcane. I'm currently working with flex/bison
at university, and from a theoretical point of view, bison uses a parsing
algorithm that is pretty fast and yet powerful enough for most languages
(LALR(1)). However - it is not very intuitive, as you have to avoid
left-recursion and other shift/reduce and reduce/reduce-errors. Algorithms
like GLR can handle those easily, but have a slightly higher complexity,
which doesn't really matter according to the author of the document cited
above.

Another possibility would be to take the same bison files as the GCC
project. Don't know if they are any usable, though.

--
Gregor Zeitlinger
gregor at zeitlinger.de