update makefile

W. Tasin tasin at fhm.edu
Sun Feb 10 23:37:03 UTC 2002

Another additional statement:

Etay Meiri wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 09:05:49PM +0100, W. Tasin wrote:
>
>>CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are project specific (so used for all
>>subdirs inside your project and some platform/distribution specific
>>additional flags are set by invoking ./configure).
>>So none of these flags should be set in Makefile.am.
>>

>Let me see if I got this right: project specific flags, the ones I set
>via the project options dialog are passed to ./configure?

Now most of these flags are passed as environment variables to configure...
but this causes the problem that these are session specific flags (means
building from within kdevelop causes a different situation than building
it from the commandline). If you distribute your project as a tarball it
will be very complicated to explain the end user how ./configure should
be invoked.

>Doesn't ./configure read them from the environment?

So certain flags should be inserted in configure.in.in:
   apart from the -f flags, there is also the usage of NOOPT_CXXFLAGS if
-O2 causes problems, or -pthread/-mt flags (which wouldn't make sense,
if these were set by environment), special defines, etc...