gideon release, first steps

Bernd Gehrmann Bernd-Gehrmann at gmx.de
Mon Aug 5 12:08:04 UTC 2002

On Sunday 04 August 2002 22:10, you wrote:
> On Saturday 03 August 2002 21:28, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> > On Saturday 03 August 2002 12:35, you wrote:
> > > b) Make a list of parts that should be part of the release. I have
> > > attached a proposal of the plugins I think should go in. Please
> > > comment, so we can agree on final list.
> >
> > Why not publish everything in an alpha release that works?
>
> Well, what is the definition of "everything that works"? I think to find
> out if something works is quite a bit of work already, so by restricting
> the scope, we can to this more serious.
>
> Of course, in an alpha, it is better to include more. When serious issues
> arise, dropping features is always a possible choice.

I'm sure that people are more likely to fix code and send patches in
published code than in code in a CVS repository. Consequently, if
in doubt, it is better to release something than to withhold it. The only
parts I know of (I haven't seriously looked through all of them) that have
serious issues are the scripting part (which demos what is possible and
thereby clutters the menus, lacks error handling...) and distpart (which is
basically just a .ui file without functionality).

> To ask you back: What parts would you think do work well that are not in
> the list right now?

customproject is indispensable as it is the only way to maintain non-automake
C++ projects. scriptproject is needed for Python, PHP and Perl. I think pythonsupport,
perlsupport and fortransupport are useful.

regexptest, filter, doxygen worked fine last time I used them.
abbrev works at least for C++, but the handling of different file name
extensions is a crude hack.

Does javadebugger work? I had the impression it was unmaintained for most
of the time.

Bernd.