Remote cvs access via SSH in KDevelop 1.4

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Wed Sep 12 07:31:56 UTC 2001

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 02:14:36AM -0700, cihan esen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> when i try to "commit" in cvs in KDevelop 1.4 i get a
> message like this
>
> "You have no controlling tty.Cannot read Passphrase"
>
> our cvs repository is configured to accept remote
> connections via SSH, i can do any changes in
> repository if i try to access it in linux
> console(providing the username and password) but i
> couldn't achieve this in KDevelop platform. In linux
> console before any actions i try to make in cvs, cvs
> asks me the password and username, but KDevelop does
> not, and gives me the above message.

What you could to to fix this and gain additionaly convenience is
to make use of the ssh agent.

Change your account on the remove server to allow authentication
based on a ssh key (add your public (and password protected) key
to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine) .

Then on the client machine you start the ssh-agent with

	eval `ssh-agent`

Followed by a 'ssh-add' (with a key other than the default identity
as argument, if you want) . That will require you to type your password
for that key, once. From the terminal you just started the ssh agent
you now start kdevelop/cervisia or whatever and you should be able to
use CVS over SSH without explicity password authentication (the authentication
still takes places, but it's done in the background by the ssh agent process) .

Simon

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«