New Emacs part for gideon

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Sep 2 14:31:42 UTC 2001

On Samstag, 1. September 2001 14:11, you wrote:
> Well, I'm very new to KDE development and can't tell how far it is
> integrated. The EmacsPart is derived from KEditor::Editor and there is an
> implementation for KEditor::Document and KEditor::CursorDocumentIface.
> Currently the part is actually a remote control for emacs. So more
> sophisticated functionality like setting breakpoints (how to display them
> in emacs?) and embedding emacs into KDE specific widgets is not possible
> right now.
>
> But I have heard of so called KDE-XParts which can swallow arbitrary
> X-applications. If anyone could point me to some documentation, I would be
> happy to dig into it.
I think Bernd originally made a test with embedding emacs. As far as I know,
he used the QXEmbed class to do that. You can ask on the kdevelop-devel and
the kde-devel list for any help, I think others have experience as well as
Bernd seems to be very busy with his phd.

> By the way, I forgot to mention that you must have the gnuclient/gnuserv
> package installed and activated on your system in order to use the part. It
> comes with most Linux distros so this shouldn't be a problem. To activate
> it in emacs, add this to your .emacs file:
>
> (autoload 'gnuserv-start "gnuserv-compat")
> (gnuserv-start)
Thanks for the info; when the KDE CVS is in a better shape next week we'll
give it a try to see how things work. I would like someone else than me to
undertake this as I am in my last week before my last exam and have to do
some planning with my university for my elaboration I have to do (which is
about cross-compiling in 3.0 as well) and at the same time I'm still
searching for that accomodation in New York to leave here in two weeks.

Any volunteers ?

> Bye, Marcus
>
> -
> kdevelop-request at kdevelop.org with the following body: unsubscribe
> »your-email-address«

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«