Texteditor interfaces

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 04:20:20 UTC 2001

Christoph,
finally, it is about time, actually I fear it is almost too late, since
the BC code freeze is close.

Anyway, I use the Kate::View and Kate::Document interfaces in a branch
of KDevelop-2 in which I replaced the old kwrite based stuff with kate.
I got this working before HEAD was changed to Qt3 and with KDE-2.2 and
a binary incompatible patch to kate, which I committed into HEAD. This
version does not only use Kate::View and Kate::Document but also
(K?)TextEditor (the older API).

Some people, I believe it was MHK, implemented a kwrite part for
gideon, which afaik, uses the older (K?)TextEditor interface solely.

The current stable version of KDevelop which is the KDE_2_2_BRANCH uses
neither, it still uses the locally modified, hacked up version of
kwrite.

My proposal is to unify (K)TextEditor and Kate asap. Gideon should in
short term switch to using this new interface. I would be willing to
spend a little time on this if noone else volunteers.

So, to make matters really worse, I am currently not able to get the
KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH compiled since I do not yet have a version of Qt3,
neither do I have KDE3 alpha. Noone else has yet attempted to compile
the KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH, but I would like to urge you, Christoph, to try
this out please. I would like to take large parts of your excellent
document und view manager implementation for KDevelop, mix these with
Falks, MDI and then test the heck out of it in KDevelop-2 before
porting it to gideon.

Regards
Roland